By Lucy Hyland
Serves: 1 Prep Time: 10 mins
Rather than using ham or cheese as a sandwich filler, I sometimes make up this combination with some smoked mackerel, cherry tomatoes and avocado. It only takes 5 minutes to make but keeps you going for hours.
If you feel this is too heavy on the stomach, you can reduce the amount of mackerel or mash up the avocado with a fork to make it more easily digestible. I use wholemeal pittas here but you could easily make an open sandwich with some ryvitas or brown bread.
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet or cooked salmon if you prefer.
- 1 avocado - sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes – sliced in two
- 2 whole wheat pittas
- ½ lemon
- A dash of extra virgin olive oil
- Break the mackerel fillet into bite sized pieces and mix with the cherry tomatoes and avocado.
- Gently mix through the lemon juice, oil and pepper.
- Toast the wholewheat pittas and stuff with the fish mixture.
This easy to prepare recipe is packed full of good oils and omega 3 fatty acids that can help the body through tough times. The mackerel is a great source of protein and the avocado will give you much needed energy if you are struggling to maintain your body weight.
It can be ideal for individuals who have trouble chewing of have a sore mouth if eaten on its own. If you decide to use salmon, just make sure that it's cooked salmon and not smoked salmon as this is cold smoked and is therefore a potential risk of infection.