Recipe by Helen Gough
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 Cooking Time: 4
This is a favourite of mine because it is so easy to prepare. Goat’s cheese is very pleasant to eat and is easy on the tummy. Sophie’s Dressing has been a big hit in our house for years and has a multitude of uses and can last in a jar for a month in the fridge. This recipe is very suitable for a lunch, snack supper or a starter.
- A small roll of Buche de Chevre (can be bought in Iagos in Cork)
- 1 Breadstick preferably Sourdough (Arbutus bread is delicious)
- Sophie’s Dressing
- Turn on grill to hot level
- Slice cheese roll into ½ inch round shapes
- Cut the sourdough bread stick
- Grill bread lightly on one side
- Place a cheese round on top of each slice (the side that's not grilled.)
- Place under grill until lightly browned
- Drizzle dressing on top of slices
- Place 3 slices on plate and serve with a portion of salad leaves
Simple and delicious Sophie’s Dressing
This is a very versatile salad type dressing. I prepare it in a wide rim jar and it can be left in the fridge for at least a month.
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 75 ml sunflower oil
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp honey (local honey is super in it)
- a squeeze of lemon
- salt and pepper
- 3 drops of balsamic vinegar
- chopped flat leaf parsley (3 or 4 sprigs)
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
Mix all the ingredients together. Serve with Grilled Buche de Chèvr and lambs lettuce or a mixed leaf salad.
If you like a sweeter dressing just add extra honey or if you like a sharper one use more wine vinegar. If you use the optional ingredients use the dressing within two weeks. I make my dressing directly into an old Bonne Mamam wide rim jars (preserves) then you don’t need to use bowls etc it saves on the washing up!
When choosing oils, extra virgin and cold pressed oils contain the greatest number of health benefits. Highly processed vegetable oils contain few health benefits. You can easily substitute the white loaf here for a brown or wholegrain bread.
Cold snacks like this delicious one can be great when the aroma of foods make us more nauseated. The cheese can give us energy and protein but make sure it is pasteurised if your immune system is low to avoid food related illnesses.